Blood Bank and Transfusion services is dedicated to delivering blood products and improving the safety of blood transfusion practice at Tree Top Hospital.
The Blood Bank operates 24 hours and is equipped with advanced facilities and skilled technicians, nurses and laboratory assistants to fulfill the special needs of our guests.
- Donor couches for blood donation in a comfortable and safe environment
- Compo-Mixer for continuous mixing of collecting blood and automatic stop after desired volume of blood collection.
- Hemoglobin meter for instant and accurate Hemoglobin estimation
- Blood Bank refrigerators
- Refrigerated centrifuges
- Platelet incubator and agitator
- Deep freezers
- Electronic plasma expresser
- Automatic ELISA processor
- Autologous blood transfusion
- Erythropoietin treatment
- Organizing and hosting blood camps
- Blood collection
- Testing blood for Transfusion Transmissible Infections
- Manufacturing of blood products (Packed Red Cells, Fresh Frozen Plasma and Platelets)
- Blood Typing and Compatibility Testing
- Storage of blood products
Register with our Guest Relations officers at one of the information counters. You will have to present your National Identification Card or Work Permit card.
Our Guest Service officer will then escort you to our Blood Donation Center on the first floor of the hospital.
You will be asked about your medical history and a short examination will be done by our Family Medicine consultant to check your temperature, pulse, blood pressure and hemoglobin level.
We will then settle you onto a donation bed where you will have to sit or lie down comfortably. A pressure cuff will be put around your upper arm to help locate a vein and a skin antiseptic will be applied before a sterile needle is inserted. The needle will feel like a pinch or mild sting.
After this, the donation process is normally pain-free and usually takes about 5-10 minutes. During the collection process the blood flow is regulated by opening and closing your hand on a rubber ‘squeezer’. If you do feel any pain or discomfort, please tell us immediately.
A new needle and collection bag is used to collect each blood donation. Needles and bags are never reused.
After donating around 500mL of blood, the pressure cuff is deflated and the needle removed. The nurse will ask you to press on your vein with a temporary pressure pad and then a protective pad similar to a sticking plaster will be applied.
After donating, you should rest for further 5 minutes. You should have a snack and something to drink from our donor lounge.
You must wait another 10-15 minutes before leaving so that your body can adjust from giving a blood donation.